Sunday, November 16, 2014

Question Commander-Lexi Farnes

Anthem by Ayn Rand
Parts 11 & 12
Question Commander
Lexi Farnes


How did Equality 7-2521 find out about the Unspeakable word 'I'?  And what did he realise when he found about the Unspeakable word?
He came across the Unspeakable word 'I", while reading a book he found in the library.  Once he found out about the word 'I', it helped him realise what he has been missing from his life.  He finally realises that he, himself, is the meaning of life.  "He decided that 'we' must always come second behind the individual needs, thoughts and desires.  He is done with his previous views of the world and 'I' is the new face of God for him" (BookCaps).

What was the word Equality 7-2521 referred to as, 'the sacred word'?
'The sacred word', was EGO.  "The word which can never die on this earth, for it is the heart of it and the meaning and the glory" (Rand 110).  Equality 7-2521 realised so much from just reading a book!  He realised that now he could understand life in a new and better way.  Ego, was something that didn't exist in this society portrayed in Anthem.  Equality 7-2521 now known as Prometheus, "wishes to single-handedly rebuild the world that was left behind when collectivism started; he cannot believe that people who worked so hard for their freedom allowed it to slip away again" (BookCaps). 

Did you like the ending of the book?  
Yes, I really did like the ending.  I liked how everything was basically all pulled together.  When I first started reading Anthem, I thought it was a very confusing book.  But once I started getting deeper and deeper in the book, it made more sense.  Then at the end of the book, when Equality 7-2521 realises the Unspeakable word, and sacred word it made me push my thinking to another level.  It made me realise how lucky I am to live in a society like this.  A society in which I can have freedom, I can have an identity and so many more things.


















                                                

                                                                                                                 

                     
Source                                                                                         
Source

3 comments:

  1. Lexi,

    I really enjoyed the images you chose, especially the one that the man is taking off his face. For me, his face represents his identity. I rally liked this image because it helped me think further about what it meant. This image is a great metaphor to what happened to Equality 7-2521 because after he ran away, he learned new things and new ways to see life. That is him "taking out his identity" because he wasn't open to the knowledge when he lived in his community, and now he is able to express himself anyway he wants to. Although I have said that this image is of someone taking out their identity, they could also be putting on his identity. Equality 7-2521 finally finding a way of living that he enjoys, and that he finds himself in. I did like your questions, but I thought that they weren't something that needed much thought put into it, or the answer was right there in the book. Anyways, keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lexi,
    I agree with all the three questions. I also found it interesting at how the book was confusing at first, and it closed up in the end.

    As he finally found the word 'I', his life came to a close. Prometheus was able to close the gap in his life; his individuality. By discovering the obsolete word, he found his hidden identity, as how he was different from everybody. Equality 7-2521 names himself Prometheus, as so creating a name for Liberty 5-3000; Gaia.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lexi,
    Great job on your post! I thought your images were really cool an connect deeply into the topic. Your final question caught my attention. I personally didn't like the end, since I thought it was kind of obvious. Also, I think that a more clever ending would make it better for the reader, even though this book's message is supposed to be really serious. Finally, I thought the last sentence about ego was a bit off topic, since the whole book was more about "I". Do you agree?
    Thanks,
    Lucas

    ReplyDelete