Sunday, August 31, 2014

Connection Captain ~ Gabi R

Part 3 & Part 4: Connection Captain 

As I am reading this novel, I can't stop wondering if the author tried to simulate the Middle Ages, when the Catholic Church ruled. This is due to the fact, the Council of Scholars is very similar to the Church as they act similarly and have common beliefs. 
Some may claim that the Catholic Church was blind because it didn't accept others point of view and ideas as everything was done to favor Christianity. The same is stated in part 3 when Equality 7-2521 narrates, "The Council of Scholars has said that we all know the things which exist and therefore the things which are not known by all do not exist. But we think that the Council of Scholars is blind." After reading this quote, I became suspicious, wondering if the Council was hiding something from the people which they didn't want everyone to know about. As I continued reading, I came across a quote which read, "but the Council of Scholars has said that there are no mysteries, and the Council of Scholars knows all things." It created even more suspicions in my head and I became convinced they were hiding something which had to do with either the outside world or something that happened in the Unmentionable Times. 
Besides that, they had similar beliefs to the ones people had in the Middle Ages. In part 1, it states "the earth is flat and the sun revolves around it, which causes the day and the night." This is a belief in common between the Church and the Council even though it has obviously been proven wrong. In the book, they seem unwilling to try to solve mysteries such as that one because as the Catholic Church, "the Council of Scholars has said that there are no mysteries, and the Council of Scholars knows all things." For all those examples I believe this book is based in the Middle Ages.

Images:
 Link

3 comments:

  1. When i read your connection to the middle ages, at first i didn't really agree, but then I started to think about it and i really did see it, everything that has happened has sort of connected to the middle ages.
    You also stated that you are getting suspicious about the Council of Scholars because you think they might know more things than they claim, and i totally agree with you, while reading part three i really started asking myself if they knew more.
    I think you did a really good job, and your pictures go well with your connection.
    Ariana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gabi,
    I agree with your connection, and for me the part that makes the beliefs of the council and the beliefs from the Catholic Church most similar is the part in part one were it is stated that, “the earth is flat and the sun revolves around it, which causes the day and the night.” While I am reading I wonder if the council knows more, and if they do why do the keep it from the society. I think that someone will end up discovering the secrets. I thought that your connections were really good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gabi,
    I think that you made a very interesting connection. I agree that in some ways the society does mirror the middle ages. However, I disagree with the part about the catholic church and the council. I think hat the catholic church is a little bit different from the council because the catholic church believes that they are enforcing the rules made by one being to the citizens while the council makes rules as a group of people though they still have a positive motive. Do you agree or disagree with that thought?
    Katie

    ReplyDelete