Monday, February 9, 2015

Connection Captain - Helena Segall

When I started reading the book I noticed that it really reminded me of The Giver. In The Giver and Anthem both want a community where every one is the same. They want people to act the same, have same feelings, and act the same. In both books, the main character have some sort of difference. In Anthem the main character is "evil". He is smarter, taller, and use to fight with kids back home, and all of that made him evil. So if any one has a slight difference from the rest of the community they are named evil. In The Giver the main character also was set apart from the community. He could see color, which no one else could, and he had a very important job which was to receive memories. In both of the books the people don't have much freedom. For example, they don't get to choose what they want to do for the rest of their lives. The people are assigned jobs and if they don't like it that's to bad. I would not like to live in either of the communities because if people are all the same I feel like life would be very boring. 


3 comments:

  1. Helena,

    I can see the comparison you have made, however I do think they can also be very different. The way both book are set is different and also the time both stories occur are different. In addition, I also agree they are similar because the way their community is set is very similar. Great job with your post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Helena,
    For this round I chose to be a connection captain too and the fist thing that came into my mind when reading was the giver too. I totally agree with you that life would be very boring if we lived in Anthems or the Giver's society. We all know that positive feelings are one of the best things ever. Like when you feel proud, when you feel love or, happiness. Another book that I think connects to Anthem is Uglies by Scott Westerfeld. Its a dystopian book and there is one charecter in the book that is unique too. Its Sally. She has the choice to turn her friend in or do the dangerous surgery. That was one of my favorite books and we read in 7th grade too. Changing topics, I like how you give examples of Anthem and The Giver on your post for every point you say. However, even if it is boring to live in a society that is being controlled, do you think there is a positive side in living like Jonas and Anthem's society? You wouldn't have to worry about many things and you wouldn't suffer. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Helena,
    I think your blogpost was really creative in your choice of image because you combined the two books together. I agree with Melissa, I think that your post was great but I would also like to know your opinion on the positive side too. My opinion is that I think people would suffer, because if they do something wrong, they get him or even killed so I think that I would still prefer having this life. What do you think Melissa?

    ReplyDelete