Sunday, November 2, 2014

Literary Analysis Gaetano





Anthem by Ayn Rand


Literary Analysis
Chapter 7-8 (Rotation 4)
Gaetano


What theme or themes does the author explore in the novel?  Which passages in the text connect to theme?



An image representing sameness (Equality 7-2521 is the orange)

I think the main theme that Rand has explored in this novel is communism. You can see this theme in the book when Collective 0-0009 says that  "what is not thought by all men cannot be true." In this particular situation, Collective 0-0009 is talking about  Equality 7-2521 and his discovery of the light bulb. However, I think it goes much deeper than that. I think Rand is trying to annul the idea that a good idea has to be favored by the majority. This idea reminds me of modern day democracy. The president, as well as other government officials, are all elected by majority vote. This is something that I think Rand would disagree with. Even though she seems very opposed to the idea of communism, there are still traces of validation of marxist ideas in her novel, like this one. To me, it seems to be that Rand is opposed to malicious power, yet does regard a benevolent dictatorship as a good thing. This may be influenced by her childhood, and how she lived in Communist Russia at the time. Perhaps the ideas of communism were so enforced in her early life that she has kept some of the same beliefs to this day. This is why I think that Rand unconsciously explores her personal ideas and perceptions of communism in this book.

1 comment:

  1. I think this is an informative post and knowledgeable. I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article
    https://www.spmindia.org/packers-and-movers-in-patna.html

    ReplyDelete