Monday, October 27, 2014

Line Illuminator- Round 3- Mariana Hopp

Anthem by Ayn Rand
Line Illuminator
Parts 5&6
Mariana Hopp

"We alone. Our Hands. Our mind. Ours alone and only."

The reason I chose this quote is because I thought it was really strange to have it say, "We alone". This is strange because there is the plural we, and yet saying that they are alone. I think this is important because in the book, Equality 7-2521, starts to think of himself as a superior person that all the other men, his brothers. To think that way is prohibited by the laws, but he has no worries in breaking any law. His knowledge is growing fast, I even think its possible that he knows more than the Scholars. Anyway, this quote shows shat goes through his mind: the uniqueness; the fact of being alone; and the fact of not needing anyone else.

"They tore the clothes from our body, they threw us down upon our knees and they tied our hands to the iron post. The first blow of the lash felt as if our spine had been cut in two. The second blow stopped the first and for a second we felt nothing, then the pain stuck us in our throat and fire ran in our lungs without air."

The reason I choose this quote is that here we can clearly see what the style of writing of the author. This is just one of the sections that Rand shows her excessively detailed way of writing. Tn this passage, every single word is a new description to the setting. All this time, the teachers told me to "show not tell", and Ayn Rand has done an amazing job to set an example to myself, and to all the others who read her book. I think it is important to know what is the author's style of writing because it shows how they may write their other books. That is to help us decide rather or not we l
ike it, and rather or not we want to read her other books.
source

2 comments:

  1. Dear Mariana,
    I really liked the quotes you chose, and I think that they were key to this week's section in Anthem. To begin with, I think that the first quotation you chose is very important in the story, since we start to see a shift in ideas of the main character. You mentioned, Equality 7-2521 is speaking of himself, but I don't really agree that he is in some way being superior over his brothers and sisters. In my opinion, he is instead showing that this is something that he, not the brothers did, only him. Do you agree?
    I think that in the next few chapters of the book, Equality 7-2521 might change his way of viewing the world, and his society.
    Thanks,
    Lucas T.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post Mari. I completely agree with both of your statements. I also think the first quote is very important, because Equality 7-2521 does start to think about himself as superior.
    To me I think he wants to be heard, he doesn't care if he's breaking the law, he just wants someone that can listen to him. I also kind of think he might know more than the Scholars.
    For the second I do agree with the quote that you choose that it does show the authors style of writing. Rand at times is very descriptive, which is a good thing so we can understand the book better.

    ReplyDelete