Friday, August 22, 2014

Anthem: Line Illuminator

Title: Anthem Part 1 and 2 by Julianna Mello
Rotation #1
Line Illuminator



Repeated words





Line #1: "Our name is Equality 7-2521, as it is written on the iron bracelet which all men wear on their left wrists with their names upon it. We are twenty-one years old. We are six feet tall, and this is a burden, for there are not many men who are six feet tall. Ever have the Teachers and the Leaders pointed to us and frowned and said:
"There is evil in your bones, Equality 7-2521, for your body has grown beyond the bodies of your brothers." But we cannot change our bones nor our body" -Part 1

I feel that this line really is about someone who really wants to make a change, but finds that they can't due to their surroundings. This line helped me understand the whole "Equality 7-2521" situation. The narrater treats this thing as if it is some kind of code. When the narrater is describing the six foot tall man it's almost as they're saying that this person is breaking the "code" in someway. I chose that top image because just by reading this line and the parts before it you could already spot some words being repeated. The words repeated make the book easier to process as I can already tell this book is going to be more on the challenging side.  





We as I





Line #2: We had broken so many laws, and today we have broken one more. Today, we spoke to the Golden One. 

 I put this line here not so much for the story but for the wording and the way it has been written. As you walk through the book a little bit more you will begin to catch on to the "We" vs. "I". If you are having trouble keeping up with the story it really helps to replace we with I. Before I read a little more my theory was that the narrater said we because they were in a group as writing a "sin".  I'm looking forward to the comments. Did you agree? Did you have your own theory?


2 comments:

  1. I like the lines that you chose and your explanations. I agree with your points, and found it interesting how you said that the description of Equality 7-2521 is treated as if it were "breaking the code" I also started changing the "we" to "I" in my mind. Lastly, the collage of the repeated words is very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julliana,

    On the first line, I had a small impression that Equality 7-2521 was sounding a bit like a robot; or a salesman. Salesman usually list a lot of information about their product, in this case, Equality 7-2521 and herself. She was mentioning her height, her name on her bracelet, her age and etc. This example clearly shows how "perfect" is this Utopia.

    ReplyDelete